Thursday 10 March 2011

Is mise Réaltán Rós na Méaróg =P

Tee-deco - sivuni ennen kontaktimuovia
There's a Facebook event called Changing my Profile Name to Irish for Seachtain na Gaeilge.. It got me thinking, what would my name (Stella Stenroos - my surname means stone rose) be as Gaeilge? The Irish Identity site lists the following name translations:

Stella - Réaltán (=star)
Stone - Ó Maolchluiche
Rose - Rós

Based on those, I'd rather switch around stone and rose, making it Réaltán Rós Ó Maolchluiche.

However, I'm not really happy with that, so I'd prefer a more direct translation of the surname.. I picked the best stones from the Irish dictionary online, putting together the following names:

Réaltán Rós na Cloch
Réaltán Rós na Méaróg
Réaltán Rós na Púróg

I think the first one might be the most accurate, with méaróg and púróg probably being pebbles rather than stones.. But I kinda prefer the last two! If I had to pick just one, I'd pick Réaltán Rós na Méaróg.

I think I'll leave my name unchanged on Facebook, though =)

No comments:

Post a Comment