Saturday 25 March 2017

VR overload, now with Oculus Touch controllers - "day 3"

Gateway to Narnia - or anywhere..

Since my previous VR experience, D had received the Oculus Touch controllers, and the little yoke for Rock Band (to be attached to a PlayStation or Xbox controller).

The Touch controllers are really good. They feel comfortable, and I found it quick and easy to get used to the various controls - for example, I must brag, I got much further than D, on my first attempt on Robo Recall, and D is a total gaming guru.

Speaking of Robo Recall.. I've never really been a shooter game person - it's fun to watch D play as he's good at it, but I've never been interested in playing them myself. However.. When you're in that virtual reality with the bad robots, shit gets personal, and it was actually great fun to KILL, KILL, KILL!!! πŸ˜‚ Yeah, it turns out, I'm a natural born killer - who knew?!? πŸ˜‚ (I also loved playing with various items in the virtual office, during the training..)


This is the Rock Band yoke, which I mentioned above..

I'd like to try that game, but it's too expensive to buy (the game, AND the required PS/Xbox controller), just to have a go, and probably never play it again.. Not that I'd be buying anything as I don't even have my own VR set, but D pretty much feels the same about the game, so I don't see him getting it.

I do know lots of people who were addicted to Guitar Hero (or such), so they would probably find Rock Band VR beyond awesome..


I had Oculus Rift lines on my cheeks, and my nose and cheeks were all red, after a session.. πŸ˜‚


Then, it was time for an R break (heh, Reality..), and some health food πŸ˜€ at Cullenmore Applegreen SubWay.. And a Wicklow spin.. (Laragh, Rathdrum, Moneystown, Annamoe..)


Back to Bray, and a quick stop for coffee and milk, etc..


This is really nice coffee.. 😍


D went out, and I had a few hours of VR bliss on my own.. 😍 Total VR overload!!! πŸ˜‚

I was on the ISS (International Space Station) - it was absolutely feckin' awesome!!! πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ I've been interested in the ISS, anyway. Like, I follow them on Facebook, I've enjoyed spotting them when possible, etc.. It was SO COOL to virtually experience what's it like to be there, move around, and so on.. I actually meant to do more, but wanted to cram other stuff to my VR day..

I did the rollercoaster thing again (which I'd done twice before), and loved & hated it as usual, but I also found a real rollercoaster video, which was pretty good! There was No Way I could have stayed standing for those, so I was on the floor, on my knees..

Oh! Oh! Google Earth VR!!! You can go anywhere in the world, and be a Godzilla.. OK, not everywhere will be as detailed and 3D (for example, I checked out Nesebar, Bulgaria, where I visited twice, in late 70's, and it was totally disappointing.. pretty much flat and blurry satellite pictures used as textures on Google Earth bumps..)

But places like Tokyo, Florence, London, New York, are fantastic on Google Earth VR.. Here are Google Maps links to some interesting places I found on VR..

Trying to remember what else I checked..

Dream no. 1 was so beautiful.. Just a brief demo, where you sort of float slowly through a fantasy village.. You can make sparkles by moving your head, but other than that, you have no controls - it's just a beautiful and relaxing thing..

I had great fun with the Toy Box! It sounds silly when explained, and probably even on that video, but when you're doing it, it's so much fun!

Not to forget - VR is not only fun for the person who's experiencing it.. It's also great fun for anyone who's observing them, because you do look feckin' idiotic, wearing the gear, moving like you've just taken all the drugs in the world, screaming, cursing, giggling, etc.. πŸ˜‚

I did the training on Dead and Buried, but didn't enjoy it as shooting just didn't feel realistic. (In comparison, shooting felt awesome in Robo Recall, and Toy Box!)

There was also a great Tahiti surf video, which finally allowed me to (virtually) experience what it's like, inside a wave.. 😍

I think that was all, this time!

I really need to win the EuroMillions, so that I can get faster internet connection, and my own Oculus Rift.. πŸ˜ƒ


Drained now, after lots of driving and VR, and everything.. Time for some sleepies! πŸ‘»

No comments:

Post a Comment