Saturday 9 February 2013

Penne dish with mince - more late night cooking..

Penne dish
I had another late night cooking session as I like to have the kitchen to myself.. This time, I made another variation of the penne dish, using mince.

Penne dish
I mentioned the Finnish recipe fridge magnet before - here's a picture of it.. I have a large oven dish, so I always double that recipe, and then eat the same stuff for a few days.

Penne dish
See my earlier entry for my recipe variation, and just add mince, if you want to try this version. Also, this time, I used mild white cheddar as I didn't have any Emmental. I didn't use a veggie stock cube, but seasoned with Spicy Herbamare (herbal salt), black and white pepper, and I fried four crushed cloves of garlic with the onions..

While I was boiling the penne, I first fried the onions, garlic, and mushrooms (adding a little bit of sugar in the oil), then fried the mince separately (just because it was easier that way), and finally put the onion / garlic / mushroom mix back on the pan, mixing it with the fried mince.

Penne dish
This picture just shows the layering.. Penne, cheese, mince, milk & egg mix - and the same again, and a final layer of cheese. (That crunchy top is just the BEST, mmmm..)

One hour in the oven. I started with gas mark 6, then turned it down to 5, after the first 15 minutes or so..

Let it settle for a while, after taking it out of the oven. I find it's actually much, much better the day after, when you nuke some from the fridge =)

No comments:

Post a Comment