Saturday 25 March 2017

Books - and some of my notes on them..


I got more books from a Bray neighbour - see above πŸ˜ƒ


Here's the lot he gave me in November ^ πŸ˜ƒ He's an avid reader, and was doing a bookshelf clearance, at the time. I'm always happy to get books.

Although I'd love to be reading all the time, I don't really have that much time for it, so this lot will keep me entertained for ages..

I'm not into book reviews, and I'm sure the interwebs is full of them for those who are interested, but I thought I'd blog some of my thoughts on the ones I've already read, mainly for myself, should I be pawing these books someday, trying to remember what I thought of them..


Edmund Power - No Christian Grave

This was like a combo of youth, stupidity, cowardice, snowball effect, and small village grudge..

I don't really have much more to say on it now as it has been some months since I read it, so it's no longer in my fresh memory..


This little gem ^ had me laughing, though πŸ˜‚


Kate Atkinson - Life After Life

I absolutely LOVED this book! The idea of getting / having to live your life again, and again, and again.. It's somehow fantastic, and horrible at the same time..


I like to remember random ^ funny bits.. πŸ˜‚


Stephen Booth - The Corpse Bridge

At first, I felt like this book didn't really know where it was going, but the more I got into it, the more realistic it seemed.. It wasn't like typical crime fiction, it was like following a real life crime inspection.. It had mundane bits, like reality, and I actually really enjoyed it..

(I'm glad to see that there's another Stephen Booth book, in the new bunch of books I got.. Looking forward to reading it!)


Mark Billingham - Time of Death

This was quite fascinating, although maybe a bit too much so, referring to the title of the story..

Also, I was mentally kicking their heads, for missing the mention of an important place as I'd have rushed to check it when it first came up..

But the characters were brilliant, in this book! Out of all the ones I've read so far (of this lot of books), this was the most difficult to put down..


Some late night hysterics, reading ^ that one..


Jojo Moyes - After You

It took me a while to realise that this one was a sequel to Me Before You, which I haven't read, but vaguely remembered seeing the ads for the movie version..

I finished the book first, before watching the movie trailers.. Having seen how WRONG "ambulance Sam" is in the film, I never want to see it! (Nothing against that particular actor, but he's just nothing like the character in this book.)

The book was quite funny, though, with the sad bits as well, of course..


Hehe, ^ family..


Val McDermid - The Skeleton Road

This one had me googling a picture of Dubrovnik as I really had no idea what it's like.. But I wanted to have a mental picture, for all the bits that took place there..

Towards the end of the book, I was also amusing myself by reading out loud in mock Scottish accent πŸ˜€ (Grrrease me up, woman! Nah, I'm better than that.. LOL)


This gave me parody ^ TV show ideas..


This one ^ had me in stitches.. πŸ˜‚

I guessed who the killer was, but still really enjoyed the story.


Sarah Waters - The Night Watch

I'm currently reading this (about 1/3 done), and I'm dying to see where it goes πŸ˜ƒ

No comments:

Post a Comment