Wednesday 22 March 2017

VR delights - "day 2"

I was in Bray again, on Monday, for more virtual reality fun πŸ˜ƒ

D had cleared more space, in the middle of the room, to avoid collateral damage πŸ˜‚ (While your head is elsewhere, your body is still where it is, but you might not always remember this, and it's really easy to forget what way you were facing, if the VR worlds have tossed you around, or if you've been fighting monsters or such.. Hide your real world porcelain figurines, etc..)

He had also organised a better spot for the sensor, so I repeated some stuff, just to see the difference from my first go, last week..

For example, some of the intro bits were even better now - I absolutely love and hate that high building thing.. My personal goal is to get through it without support, someday, and to take a few steps ahead, trusting the knowledge of REALLY standing on the floor.. πŸ˜‚ (This may never actually happen, but I'll enjoy trying..) Also, the rollercoaster ride I'd tried before, was SO MUCH BETTER now...... My legs were actually shaking, after it was over! From trying to keep balance..

I watched more 360 videos.. These cows were big.. The tripod must have been set too low as when you were watching the video, you felt really short, and the cows seemed too big.. Still, it was a nice video πŸ„ This rope bridge video was poor quality, but if you want some very real vertigo, go for it.. The chicken stampede was a bit disappointing, until you saw the giant goats.. πŸ˜‚ (I liked the low camera angle, and the thought of giant chickens coming at me, but it wasn't as scary as I'd wished.. However, looking around, I just happened to see some really cute, and REALLY BIG goats.. They totally stole the show!)

I subscribed to this YouTube channel as they seem to have nice 360 videos..

I was looking for some relaxing, nature type videos, and found this.. It's only a free trailer for longer videos they sell on their website, but it was nice.. There was some quality variation, though - not sure if they'd used different equipment, or if the camera was not as suitable for stream / woods, as it was for beach scenes.. All the beaches were sharp, whereas the stream / woods type scenes seemed slightly blurry.. Also, I wasn't really expecting a relaxation video to give me vertigo, but I nearly died, during the Cliffs of Moher part! πŸ˜‚

I'm not really into diddle-e-i music, but had to try this trad. session.. It was nice, but with the camera being on the table between them, it kind of made me feel like a Leprechaun standing on a table.. I felt like doing a jig.. πŸ˜‚

There was a horror home video, which was not that great in the tech sense, but the horror was real as you didn't know what was going to happen, so the horror was in the waiting..

This vintage car parade took us a while to get the correct settings selected, but eventually, it was brilliant! You really felt like you were standing there - and that one man kept staring at you.. πŸ˜‚

(All these videos with thumbnails, in this Facebook post..)

I would seriously LOVE to create some VR video content (lots of ideas..), but I couldn't even afford to get my own VR set, not to mention a decent camera.. 😒

Meanwhile, D now has the Oculus Touch as well, so I'll be heading to Bray again, someday soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment